cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webinar vs Meeting?

ECSBC
Attendee

I'd like to double-check my understanding of the differences between webinars and meetings.  We have a Pro Account.  The size of the meeting is not an issue as we will have under 500 participants.  We have LOTS of experience hosting meetings, typically with under 50 participants, but we've never hosted a webinar.  Next month we will be hosting larger events with more outsiders, hence my question. I'm not concerned about the cost for the webinar license, I just want to know if we have a compelling reason to convert these events to webinars.

I know that in a meeting, I can:

• set people to mute automatically on entry
  • turn off people's ability to unmute themselves unless they are explicitly asked to unmute by the host
  • turn off participant screen sharing
  • turn off chat, though I may not want to do that
  • I can even turn off the participant's video, though I don't want to do that

I know all about using the waiting room in a meeting and how to remove disruptive participants if needed.

In our case, a big reason we like Zoom meetings is that it allows true interactivity between participants and the speakers.  We love being able to show the questioner's face wherever they are located.

The above seems like all the security I need in terms of controlling the event and preventing disruptive behavior.  AM I MISSING ANYTHING?

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, not true. You can unmute attendees to give them permission to speak. I don't think you can do it en masse, but it can be done individually. I did it last week.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Librarycat
Participant

David,

We have a lot of Meeting experience with large groups of outsiders. We have Webinar now and I love it. It looks professional. You can invite panelists. It is a colder environment as you cannot see attendees but you can unmute them if you need to. I

ECSBC
Attendee

You're saying that in a webinar you can unmute attendees?  I thought the only way webinar participants can contribute is through the Question "chat"

Librarycat
Participant

You can unmute attendees, I don't remember if you can do it for all (doubt it), but you can choose a participant and allow them to speak.

My understanding is that you need to make them a panelist

No, not true. You can unmute attendees to give them permission to speak. I don't think you can do it en masse, but it can be done individually. I did it last week.

ECSBC
Attendee

Thanks, Librarycat.  I didn't know that