cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webinar - allow attendees to rename themselves or find their display names?

zoomsquatch
Listener

Good afternoon,

We are hosting 3 large seminars this and the coming weeks.  We will have 250-350 attendees in any given webinar.  These webinars are for a continuing education program.  Attendees have to answer 4 polling questions each hour to get their credit.

85%+ of the users login to the webinar correctly with their first and last names showing.  However, we always have users who show up in the attendee list with only a first name, anonymous thing like "owner", or something else that doesn't easily identify them. 

When we see a user with a name like that, we first try to chat with them and ask for their last name.  Then we rename it.  However, there are always a few people who don't answer the chat.  And almost always, there is a small percentage of people who can't see the polls - almost always because they are using Zoom in a browser rather than the app.  We try to educate them, but at some point, they won't or can't make it work.

Inevitably, the Webinar host will ask people to make sure their name shows first and last...but there is no way that we've found for them to actually check that when they are already in the webinar.  And then we have a barrage of chats and Q&As asking "how does my name appear for you?". 

Is there an easy work around for people to see what their display name is once they're already in a webinar?  The *only* way I've found is for the attendee to open Q&A and submit a response.  I hesitate to suggest that, because we'll instantly get 350 Q&As pop up from people checking.

Other suggestions?  Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

ChrisO
Note Taker

You could require authentication to join, this would require them to create at the minimum a free Zoom account though. Even this would not prevent them from entering nonsense information though. As far as attendees seeing their screen name, I do not know of a way.

Please remember to mark responses as accepted if they resolve your issue.
***Sometimes success is only achieved through many failures!***

Thanks for the ideas.  We talked about requiring authentication...but you are right.  Some people wouldn't have that information entered correctly.    Thanks again.