cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen sharing with Apple Keynote 12.0

jmak3303
Listener

The instructions for sharing Apple Keynote slideshows on Zoom have changed. The latest version (12.0), no longer has the Preference option "Allow Mission Control, Dashboard and others to use the screen," which is one of the key instructions on this page: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362963-Screen-sharing-a-Keynote-presentation.

So, what do I do now to share my screen on Zoom?

16 REPLIES 16

Chattertoes
Listener

I have the same problem, did you find a solution by any chance? I'm giving my first Keynote over Zoom next week so am currently a bit stuffed!

Thanks in advance.

jmak3303
Listener

No, not yet. Frustrating.

dubwright
Listener

I am saving Keynote to PPT temporarily hoping I can get PPT on Zoom.  Good thing about Keynote is that you can save It as PPT - just not sure how well the transition iwill work 

DawnRR
Listener

Same problem. Can you please let us know how to use keynote on Zoom? Keynote 12.0 no longer has the mission control option.

Flash_Bazbo
Listener

Upgrading the zoom client to the latest version may solve the problem.  I unfortunately encountered the same issue using Keynote 11.1 (no option for checking the Mission Control box).  Share Screen would automatically switch to "screen sharing paused" mode after pressing the slide presentation in Keynote.  In checking for updates in the Zoom app, I found a new version (5.10.7) was available and seems to have solved the problem after the install.  Hope it helps!

DawnRR
Listener

Thank you. I'll check it out! In a crunch, I used the workaround of exporting to pdf and then screen sharing. 

Great - I hope it works!  Unfortunately, the pdf option didn't  work for me due to the many animations and builds in the slides.  In my case, exporting to a self-playing movie would probably work, but I didn't think of it in time 😕   Good  luck!

Quinnovator
Listener

Had the same problem. Tried upgrading Zoom, with no luck. The Zoom page still says to use the  "Allow Mission Control, Dashboard and others to use the screen” option, but...it isn’t in Keynote Preferences anymore!

However, trying to solve the problem, I found that the “Allow app switching when presenting” option in Preferences, when rolled over, says roughly just that. Clicked, tested, solved. 

Hovering over the “Allow app switching when presenting” control it mentions "Mission Control, Launchpad and other apps." So maybe this is just the original preference item renamed?

DawnRR
Listener

Thank you!

Quinnovator
Listener

But wait, there's more! I tried again, prepping for a workshop and session. Two decks didn't work, one did!?!?! After a bit of frogging around, it turns out that the 'hide extension' setting on the keynote file needs to be ticked! Once I did that, all three decks worked. So it's not only the new option in preferences, but also the file extension. Weird; not sure if it's an Apple or Zoom thing, but at least there's a solution. 

But . . . where is the 'hide extension' setting? Aaargh!

This didn't work for me, with or without the "hide extension" check.

(it's in the "get info" for the file for others who want to try this.)

Prasanth611
Listener

Still not working with me - even with hide extension checked.

Arundel69
Listener

Hello all,

For those who never managed to get it working correctly... there is another option to take into account. It's a rather obvious one, but I lost half an hour to figure it out, so I guess I could share my experience...

In Keynote, before launching the presentation (i.e. while still in 'editing' mode), the Play menu has an additional option, a checkbox that is, by default, In Full Screen. Check In Window instead.

This should separate Keynote in 3 windows: the editing window (where you were), the presentation window (which 'usually' is on a Full Screen, but now becomes a 'normal' window), and the Presenter Display window (!). From Zoom, when sharing windows, now you can just share the presentation window, and even have the Presenter Display open — it won't be shared via Zoom! — so you can keep track on the presentation.

Needless to say, this is after selecting the Keynote Preferences, Slideshow tab and enabling Allow app switching when presenting, as said above on this thread.

I have no idea if the issue about hiding/unhiding the extension still applies or not, but my guess is that it's not needed.

Worked like a charm. Thanks!