cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Sound Quality for musicians

LauraRnicasio
Listener

Hi, We had an event with professional musicians. Some used external mics, and some did not. We did a sound check with each of them, and during the sound check the sound quality of music  (voice and instruments, using Orignal Sound) was impeccable. Then the meeting began, with 78 participants, and in the cases of those who did not have external mics but used the computer’s mic, the bars on their internet went to yellow or red, and we had dreadful sound. A few singers were on phones, with ear buds and mics, and their quality was terrific.

I wonder if it was due to my own internet connection. I started the meeting, but because I don’t have the best internet, I transferred the hosting to someone with excellent internet. Whose bandwidth controls the quality? The person who started? The current host? The performer themselves? Any ideas would be helpful before our next event. Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer

Each individual who is logged into the meeting is responsible for their Internet bandwidth. So, when they went yellow it’s only because their bandwidth was low. Could be a wireless issue that a hard wired connection might have improved, or could just be very low bandwidth. 

folks experiencing low bandwidth can select “turn off all incoming video” and that may help the situation. 

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

View solution in original post

Jim_Martin
Listener

@LauraRnicasio , What you're experiencing is a lack of bandwidth issue.  Zoom's MMR infrastructure is quite robust, and when combined with High Fidelity Music Mode it can offer a very impressive environment for music performance and collaboration.  Sadly, Music Mode can't make up for poor network connectivity.  Our standard audio format accounts for quite a bit of loss, jitter, and latency through sophisticated buffering and compression algorithms.   Music Mode is beautiful because of the fuller audio waveform that is being delivered, but it comes at the cost of higher bandwidth requirements and less jitter/loss/latency tolerance.  Those that are experiencing audio issues should consider disabling their video to preserve more bandwidth for the audio stream and/or may want to consider switching to wired connections.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZoomTestKitchen

Each individual who is logged into the meeting is responsible for their Internet bandwidth. So, when they went yellow it’s only because their bandwidth was low. Could be a wireless issue that a hard wired connection might have improved, or could just be very low bandwidth. 

folks experiencing low bandwidth can select “turn off all incoming video” and that may help the situation. 

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

LauraRnicasio
Listener

Thanks, Jeff... so it sounds like it is okay if I start meetings, and then make someone else host, even though my bandwidth is not the best...

Jim_Martin
Listener

@LauraRnicasio , What you're experiencing is a lack of bandwidth issue.  Zoom's MMR infrastructure is quite robust, and when combined with High Fidelity Music Mode it can offer a very impressive environment for music performance and collaboration.  Sadly, Music Mode can't make up for poor network connectivity.  Our standard audio format accounts for quite a bit of loss, jitter, and latency through sophisticated buffering and compression algorithms.   Music Mode is beautiful because of the fuller audio waveform that is being delivered, but it comes at the cost of higher bandwidth requirements and less jitter/loss/latency tolerance.  Those that are experiencing audio issues should consider disabling their video to preserve more bandwidth for the audio stream and/or may want to consider switching to wired connections.