cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest Accounts & Host Keys

js1
Listener

What is your organization's procedure for:

• Granting external guests permission to host meetings.
  • Sharing a departmental login?

My organization has an education account, uses SSO, and will be implementing account consolidation in the near future.  We require that licensed Zoom accounts be set up with a specific domain. Occasionally some employees are requesting that external guests be given alternate hosting abilities on meetings, and some groups are requesting that we provide them with a shared zoom account. I am aware of host keys and am certain that some of our employees give them out to external guests to let them host meetings in their absence, but I'd love to hear about what other organizations do to handle these kinds of requests. 

2 REPLIES 2

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @js1, so the first thing is for the alternative role both the Host and the Alternative host need to be Licensed and on the same account. However, you could look into assigning them as a Co-host.

• Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting. Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.
  • Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.

As the Host, if you need an Alternative host to start the meeting -- you'd be best with this role, however, the co-host does have the same controls as an alternative host just can't start the meeting. 

Account Sharing is a violation of our terms of service. Please see https://zoom.us/terms for further information regarding our terms of service. 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Meg
Listener

@RN  - I wonder if you might answer a question along the same lines. We have a major event coming up and there will be a number of simultaneous meetings using a number of our licensed accounts. The Hosts will start these meetings, but due to confidentiality, they will need to assign a Host and leave. We have instructed these people that they will not be able to use their Zoom accounts during these times. Question - is it possible for the Host to assign the Host role to someone who is not part of our organization or to someone who does not have a Zoom account?  I appreciate anything you might share on this.

Best regards,

Meg